Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Wise Tagline Once Said: Life is for Living

Don’t read the title yet, because it’s a major plot twist in this story.

Yesterday was one of my more crippling-depressiony days: I ran out of milk, bit my tongue, and found out that Law & Order had been cancelled two months ago.

“I swear”

Naturally, I decided to kill myself. So down I went to Bob’s Noose and Prescription Painkiller Shoppe, but alas, it’s closed on Wednesdays. This made me more depressed, and therefore, in a cruel twist of fate, more suicidal.

I wondered if my choice was a bit brash, so as I walked, I looked for a sign to show me I was wrong about the meaninglessness of life. At the corner, a tough gang-banger helped an old woman onto the bus; across the street, a man pulled a baby from a runaway stroller, saving it from a speeding truck; in front of me, models handed out free tickets to the blowjob booth at AdultCon. Nope, I couldn’t find a single thing to compel me to give life one more shot. Off a-suicidin’ I went.

But then, salvation appeared to me, in the form of a bus stop poster for the upcoming Zac Efron film, Charlie St. Cloud:

Specifically, salvation appeared as the tagline on this poster, “Life is for living”. Never before had I heard a mantra for existence put so elegantly. It was simple, yet, philosophically, as deep as Zac Efron’s emerald green eyes. Just four simple words: Life. Is. For. LIVING. Mind you, I have no desire to actually see Charlie St. Cloud. From everything I know about the film (see above poster), I assume it’s a cross between The Notebook and Smallville, minus Rachel McAdams and superpowers (basically, the only two things I will watch, read, or join a message board for).

I’ve spent countless hours with this picture.

But I do owe a “thank you” to Charlie St. Cloud: The Poster for giving me a new lease on life. The least everyone who reads this can do is go and buy a ticket to Charlie St. Cloud: The Movie.

Plus, Ray Liotta’s in the movie, so hopefully, it won’t be totally gay.

2 comments:

  1. Very funny! Can't wait to read more. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! This is hilarious and I am very much looking forward to future blogs.

    *Ray Liotta made Wild Hogs a breakout hit, so I think you're right about the impact he'll have on Charlie St. Cloud.

    ReplyDelete